Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Wannabe

So I guess I'm supposed to be running a 12k in a month!? Time has flown by and the training just hasn't been happening like I wanted it to. Except for now. I joined the Valley Womans Running Team (sounds professional but is open to anyone! All levels! Including level 0, which is where I'm at) Our first day was a trail run up Wolverine Canyon. In the snow. We were instructed to just stay on the snow machine track and to watch out for bears. "If you sense a bear, just make some noise", says the leader of the group. Thanks, I'll be sure and scream while I'm being eaten.
We ran 35 minutes up the hill in somewhat soft snow that gives way much like running in sand. Don't worry, I was only in the very back of the group that consisted of several 50+ year old women. Luckily, coming down was just gorgeous and renewed my resolve. The entire run was only an hour but I felt it for days!
Last night was our track run but we ran to a local hill again ("Mormon hill" as they call it.. right next to the Palmer chapel) to run more hills. I guess I'll be getting into shape whether I like it or not!

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Ugh, sounds like a nightmare! lol. Good luck :)

Debbie said...

Oh man that sounds brutal!!! Good for you!

---- said...

Way to go! You are awesome!! Remember in High School when we "talked" about going running all the time...I think we ended up at Carrs getting snacks instead...how many times do you think we actually went vs. how many times we talked about it?? I think the ratio was 200 to 0!! (yeah that sounds about right!!) I'm glad ONE of us actually did it!! ha ha

Ellis family said...

Good for you! I ran in the snow the other day too with this group here and I too was at the back, oh well, I just give myself credit for running outside in the snow! P.S. YOur family is adorable! love the boys!