Saturday, July 28, 2007

Only in Alaska..


Yesterday I had quite the little..incident happen on the way to work. There I was, driving down the hill only a mile from my house, minding my own business when I see a Black nose coming out of the bushes into the street.
Uh, I think my heart just stopped.
I screetch on the breaks in time to see the Black Bear take few more steps, look at me, decide that I wasn't worth breaking the windshield to devour, turn around and walk lazily back into the woods.
OK, I can breathe now.
I've heard there has been quite a few bears in town this summer but it seems I never actually see them- which I guess is a good thing considering I also don't want the bear to ever have to decide whether or not to devour my helpless child as he plays in the yard. Because, I think we all know where that would lead.
Last month, we had a mother moose and her twins laying in our neighbors yard across the street (above). Moose are much more common "sightings" than bears, which is good because while they may stomp on you and break your ribs, they will not eat you. And that's ALWAYS a plus. Except, if your friends are up from Utah who specifically want to see wildlife, be forewarned that there will be neither Moose nor Bear sightings whatsoever. Ask me how I know.
Anyways, Jeremy went fishing with a couple friends today on the Kenai. They saw 4 Grizzlys and a beaver.. and even caught some salmon while they were at it! He got sunburned but had so much fun.
Jack and I went out to the Valley to hang out at my moms because I didnt feel like being home all day. Boooorrr-ing. Then I came home and finished HP2. Guess I need to go buy the 3rd!
Oh! I hit the Nordstrom sale on Thursday for a little retail therapy and ended up with a little buyer's remorse. Gosh, you can't win!!

7 comments:

donna said...

OH wow! a bear. Were you in town?

I love the moose pictures. MY boys would be in heaven. What a cool place you love!

Andrea said...

That pic is so cute. Much cuter than a pic of a bear tearing you apart lol. I would probably have a heart attack lol.

Lupe said...

Amazing pics! I'm glad the bear didn't find you appetizing!!

Sarah said...

WOW! that's amazing! the bears would totally scare me!

Melissa E Photography said...

A Bear!!! I'm glad it was full. Invite people from Utah up more often to ensure your safety. We Utahns must reek! I guess I would be willing to donate my stench for a couple of weeks to repel all of those man-eating bears. And if my hubby came, I would even be bringing a prospective buyer to your home as well. It's a win-win. Let me know what you think....:)

michelle said...

Wowsers! I love the moose! The bear would have sure made my heart stop!

Lauralee said...

oh my goodness. great post.. that is crazy a bear right in front of you.. too funny no vistors will see any thing that crazy.. seems like that always happens.. here where I live it will always be cloudy when we have company so you can't see the awesome view of the mountain we have.. fun to shop at nordstroms!